Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What is a social justice superhero?

What is a social justice superhero?

Do they wear capes and save kittens in trees?
Are they the loudest voice in the room?
Do they make everyone else feel inferior?
Are they perfect?

I guess my definition of a social justice superhero is someone who wants to make the world a better place.  This can mean someone who dedicates their entire life to creating worldwide change, but it can also be someone who lives their life meaningfully.  Someone who recognizes that they have a voice and a choice when it comes to doing the right thing.

I have been extremely lucky to grow up around a huge cast of social justice superheros, starting with my parents.  My mom and dad taught me from a very young age to treat people kindly and try to understand other peoples' ideas, beliefs and circumstances.  They also helped me realize how truly lucky I was to have my family, friends, health and so much more.  Being aware of my own good fortune, helped me develop sympathy for those less fortunate. I'm thankful for my parents, and their parents before them, for being such good models of character for me.

Another social justice superhero who continues to shape me is my good friend Elissa Froman. Elissa worked in Washington, D.C. for many years fighting for rights of women all over the world.  She helped pass laws that have truly made this country better.  But Elissa was more than the bills she worked on, or politicians she met.  She cared deeply about people - from the homeless individuals she passed on the street to the children in seemingly far away, war-torn lands.  Unfortunately, Elissa's life was cut painfully short.  Although she is no longer with us, I know her ideas, principles, and genuine kind-hearted nature will live on with the many people she touched throughout her life. 

Teaching middle school for the last few years has been rewarding, fun, and extremely exhausting all at the same time.  What I like most about teaching kids at this age is seeing them grow and realize that they have a place in this world.  My hope this year is for my students to learn about the many social justice superheroes that have shaped our world so far, and help them realize that they too can become a social justice superhero!

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12726153/?claim=skg589qxbvq">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

13 comments:

  1. Powerful post, Rachel! You seem like a very driven person with a fantastic vision. I look forward to reading more of your posts throughout the school year. Great job on starting your blogging adventure. It's a thrill ride! ;)
    Literacy Loving Gals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support! I'm super excited about getting started! And I look forward to seeing what you have to post as well!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're blogging and are going to share critical literacy with our blogging community! Can't wait to read more from you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, lady! Your help and patience is much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Your post reminds us all that we can improve in every area of our lives if we take time to recognize who and what we are grateful for. All of the people you mentioned really shaped your life Rachel. You've become all those people and now you are an inspiration for your colleagues and students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I appreciate your response and that you took the time to read my post!

      Delete
  4. are you moderating comments, because mine disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Well I didn't delete it. No idea how that happened. If you want to give it another try, I would love to see your original comment :)

      Delete
  5. You are my social justice hero! This blog is amazing! It demonstrates the strength of your character. Your students are so lucky to have you, which they may not understand as 13 year olds. I want to be in your class Ms. Belkov...seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Miss! That really means a lot to me. I'm lucky to have you. Thanks for your support (with everything).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rach,
    I'm so impressed with your blogging skills ;) Truly though, this is amazing! I hope your students realize what an incredible journey they are on with you! Its inspiring and I can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura - thanks for reading a for your sweet thoughts. I really appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Apart from that there's the Pillars of Hercules out by the Straits of Gibraltar. Least us not forget the rather numerous number of temples constructed and dedicated to him (there was many a Hercules cult back then), as well as more statues than you can find museums for - well not quite but there are an awful lot of them; statues that is.Comic forum

    ReplyDelete