Thursday, August 21, 2014

Jumping Into Human Rights (and happiness!)

I have wanted to blog ALL week about the wonderful discussions I've had with my kids so far, but it has been crazy!  I don't know why I am always shocked by the amount of busy work, on top of real planning and problem solving, that comes up in these first few weeks.  But I have finally put it all aside for the meantime, and want to get back to real gems of the week!

First, we started off by reading an inspiring article in Scholastic's Scope magazine about a young girl battling cancer.  What made this story so powerful was this young girl's message.  She wrote that having cancer helped teach her to be grateful for what she has, even if it wasn't what she had dreamed of.  This is an important lesson for everyone, but especially for teenagers.  We all need to take time to recognize the good fortune in our own lives, and appreciate the little things that make each day special.


I have been working on this in my own life, and I know that it can be challenging.  During the summer, I was dealing with a lot of changes in my life.  So, I decided to focus on the positive aspects of those changes, as well as all of the many blessings in my life, rather than the disappointments. I began the 100 Happy Days Challenge: http://100happydays.com/   I'm not posting my daily thoughts - I'm just keeping a running list for myself.  After reading the Scope article, and taking part in the 100 Happy Days Challenge for a few weeks, I decided I wanted to start off the school year doing this with my kids!  So, we began this week and will continue this challenge for the next 100 days of school.


The next day, I introduced the topic of social justice by reading one of my favorite books, 14 Cows for America ("You say that about all of your books." - one child retorted).  If you haven't read it, you MUST!  I won't give anything away, but the last line sums it up pretty nicely: 

          “Because there is no nation so powerful it cannot be wounded, nor a people so small they cannot offer mighty comfort.” 

If that doesn't draw you in, I don't know what will!

And finally, today we introduced the Declaration of Human Rights by using another one of my favorite books (ok, maybe I do say that a lot), Every Human Has Rights and the outstanding Youth For Human Rights website http://www.youthforhumanrights.org/.  We started with The Story of Human Rights documentary, which I would strongly recommend for anyone who is interested in getting some background information about human rights. 

As I have done in the past, we took each of the rights outlined in the book, which are basically a more kid-friendly version of each of the 30 rights from the United Nations declaration, posted them around the room, and the kids did a gallery walk.  As they walked and read, each student added post-its with questions, comments, or connections to the rights.  I can't even begin to tell you how amazing this first day of discussion was for me! Watching their faces as they watched the video, reading every single right, asking questions, making connections to their own lives - it was pretty cool, to say the least.  

I'm going to leave you here, dying of anticipating, since this post has gotten way too long.  But I will be back soon with more details from our journey through human rights.





4 comments:

  1. Check out documentary the interrupters, about 3 former gang bangers turned muslim who try to right their wrongs by fighting for kids rights to be protected from street violence in Englewood in chicago. Such a powerful film, not sure where your unit is heading, but so worth watching, and opens up a dialogue about how everyone can have a hand in helping someone else no matter how unfortunate their circumstances may be, also helps the students see how powerful it is to stand up for what you believe in. Cant wait to read more of your blog, have a great year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and the recommendation! I have heard about The Interrupters, but have gotten some mixed reviews... I will definitely check out though. Thanks again for read/commenting! Hope you have a great year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love doing Scope with my students when I taught current events. Maybe I should look back into it for my civic class this year.
    Thanks
    Kovescence of the Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - Total look into Scope! They have such a variety of articles. I think it is a great resource to use every once in awhile. We have one subscription that we pass around the school. And the kids love it! The plays are especially fun!

      Delete